JAMMU: A 42-year-old man died on Friday evening after his throat was slit by the banned Chinese kite flying string “Gattu,” while he was on his two-wheeler.
The man was identified as Sikander Khan (42) of Narwal. He was rushed to the hospital by some passersby but was declared dead on arrival.
His family alleged that despite a ban by the district administration, Gattu is still illegally being sold in the market during the festive season of Rakshabandhan and Janmashtami.
However, authorities claim that despite their best efforts the Chinese string manages to find its way to the market because of the demand. “Whenever there is a fatality people put blame on authorities but they forget that if there is no demand then there will be no sale,” said a cop on condition of anonymity.
“We try to restrict the sale of Gattu but people themselves must understand that when if there’s no demand it will automatically vanish from the market,” the cop added.



Source link